Mysteltein (also known as the Cursed Branch or the Cursed Bough) is an AAA-Class Red Sidereal piercing weapon that can also used to slice through objects like a double-saber or thrown as a javelin. It was originally a part of the Guardian Bishop's inventory but was somehow transferred to Hyperion before the First Battle of Tobal in CC 400. With Hyperion's defeat, Humans claimed Mysteltein for their research and development until Hyperion Repair reclaimed the weapon during the Third Battle of Tobal in CC 431. Humans once again preserved the weapon for their usage but it was stolen by the Observers so as to return it to its original owner. Mysteltein is currently in the possession of Bishop once more.
Mysteltein appears as a black erratic line/thread with a bluish-purplish glow and surrounded by a miasma - it appears to be highly unstable with no definite shape. The material composition of Mysteltein is unknown as it can bend, extend, contract, and move remotely with no limitations which is against the known laws of physics. It crystallizes into a white-silver substance when the spear enters an inactive state.
Mysteltein's properties make it similar to a Phenomenon Weapon as it appears that the weapon reacts according to the will of the user. However, it is not a Phenomenon Weapon per se because Mysteltein lacks the unique criteria of manipulating reality to manifest the ideas of the user.
Mysteltein initially belonged to the Guardian Bishop but for unknown reasons, it gave the weapon to EX-Type Zero Hyperion shortly before the First Battle of Tobal. When Hyperion attacked the Ground Zeroes in Tobal, it was shown already wielding Mysteltein with great proficiency. The World Tree form of Mysteltein was then unveiled in the last stages of the battle. Top Sword Sion Zail engaged the EX-Type Zero and won although she had to retire as a Cold Hero afterwards due to being heavily exposed to the weapon's deadly curse. Knight Order then seized the weapon for their own R&D ventures.
By CC 431, disgraced Master Knight Ray Nelson introduced the Raven Suits which utilized Mysteltein as a power source. To give the Ravens a better edge, he also invented a method by which a spear-like device can resonate the weapon's essence in a controlled manner. The spears effectively destroyed intended targets by channeling a fraction of the original erosion effect. The Raven Suits were put to great effect in suppressing Sion Zail.
During the Third Battle of Tobal, Hyperion Repair entered the conflict by first retrieving Mysteltein. He then used the weapon in destroying Tobal Union's military. Next the EX-Type Zero mimicked the Raven Suits by resonating charged essences of Mysteltein to cull the population of Tobal. The planet-eroding World Tree was once again unleashed in its fully active form but Sion Zail and Van Nelson was able to stop it at the end.
With Hyperion Repair's defeat, Bishop began making its way to recover Mysteltein, through force if needed. The mysterious organization known only as the Observers then stole the weapon from AL. They were just in time to return it back to Bishop who by then was already at Vine. It was revealed that the Observers' intentions were to avoid a catastrophic confrontation between humanity and the Guardian.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Mysteltein gained its reputation as the "Cursed branch" or the "Cursed Bough" due to excreting a polluting aura that activates an extremely powerful mutagenic reaction on affected targets. This causes rapid and irreversible disintegration/decomposition for both biological and non-biological matter. Contaminated surface areas are deemed forever uninhabitable for humans. It's similar to the corruption that happens around Queen Nests and fallen Blue Flower debris. The defensive barrier that AB Sword Number 680 creates can greatly reduce the mutagenic effect of Mysteltein.
Not only can it be thrown at extremely high velocity, but Hyperion demonstrates that its direction can be controlled while in flight, leading to utter devastation of multiple targets very rapidly. After the defeat of Hyperion it was recovered and studied in order to use its power for the spears wielded by the Raven Units. When Hyperion Repair later appears he summons Mysteltein from a great distance, totally destroying its field vault for the Raven spears as it instantly responds to his will.
Mysteltein can be activated to reveal its true form which is the planet-eroding World Tree. The World Tree first appeared during the First Battle of Tobal when Top Sword Sion Zail cornered EX-Type Zero Hyperion. Hyperion then activated Mysteltein to transform into the World Tree.
- Bishop - (CC ??? - CC 400, then CC 431 - present)
- Hyperion - (CC 400); Received from Bishop, used in First Battle of Tobal
- Knight Order - (CC 400 - CC 431); Looted from Hyperion
- Tobal Union/Raven Units - (CC 430 - CC 431); Confiscated from Knight Order upon independence
- Hyperion Repair - (CC 431); Reclaimed from TU, used in Third Battle of Tobal
- Alternative League - (CC 431); Looted from Hyperion Repair
- Observers - (CC 431); Stolen from AL and briefly held to return to Bishop
- (A solider commenting on Hyperion)
- "That thing's holding... The nightmare of planet Arle!"
- (Commenting on Raven Units' ability to subdue Sion Zail)
- Robert Nelson: "There's no point. That's our ace in the hole to substitute the AB Element. She won't be able to resist. Those spears are just replicas that only resonate the original. And the curse that enables the resonance comes from Mysteltein. The cursed piece of wood from the enemy."
- Lieutenant General Tinie:"It was a terrible curse... 30 years have passed, but no one can inhabit on the earth that was struck with that bough."
- ↑ http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/knight-run/ep-132-a-village-where-you-are-part-56/viewer?title_no=67&episode_no=133
- ↑ http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/knight-run/ep-106-a-village-where-you-are-part-30/viewer?title_no=67&episode_no=107
- ↑ http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/knight-run/ep-93-a-village-where-you-are-part-17/viewer?title_no=67&episode_no=94